teaching learing knowledge

As I got up at seven thirty this morning one should think that I would have made some progress in my reading for my exams. However this is not the case. I haven’t even gotten to the stage where I have opened my book. How sad isn’t that? As usual when exams are approaching I grow allergic towards my books. So now I can’t focus on anything and I know for sure that if I don’t open the books, I will have to re-sit my exams. Would I want that to happen? Nooooo!

Yesterday my math teacher complained about the current youth and how they don’t see the necessity and importance of math. His brother had told him that (who is obviously not a math nor a science person at all) that we could just import the knowledge from other countries. Countries such as China and Japan. This is not the first time lately that I have heard something similar. Last week I was reading a chronicle in BT and a Norwegian novelist was questioning what he could tell his daughter when she said she would rather play Playstation than doing her homework? He reached the conclusion that he would have to tell her that if she didn’t do her homework someone from China would come and take her job. I actually think that will be the future. We will start to import the people we need to fill the jobs that we don’t have the required knowledge and proficiency to fill. After meeting some high school children in China a couple of years ago I would say they are way ahead of us. Taking sixteen subjects and only having Sunday off, is a normal life for a teenager in China. They dedicate themselves to the school and few of them knew the concept of spear time. Ask an average teenager the same question in Norway and you will hear another story. For most people, school is something that they take for granted. It is something that you have to do, that everyone has to do. I take myself for thinking the same. That this is something I have to do not that I want to do it. It takes a lot of time and effort. For what prize? When I reach that point, I think about Qiam, my friend from Afghanistan. He was the one who gave me a perspective when you take education for granted. Because the fact is that there is very few in this world that have the opportunity to learn to read and even write. So if you have the opportunity to even get it for free, you should grasp it and cherish it.

Yet I have not opened my books but maybe it’s about time so the Chinese and Japanese won’t get more time to get ahead of me.

Comments

Popular Posts