mothertounge vs. english

So as I'm switching between writing in norwegian and english, I'm confusing myself. or actually I'm not that confused anylonger, because I've figured out the reason for my "confusion". Everytime I write in english, I alway end up writing about Hong Kong. These melancolic and sad stories about my life there, which I cannot seem to forget. It’s ok, but I should manage to move on. When writing in Norwegian I write funny and witty about everyday situations. (usually something about my mom, but still very funny) So I figured out the reason for this "gap" between writing in Norwegian and English. When living in Hong Kong my language of communication was English, now it naturally enough has switched back to Norwegian. So when writing about something I experienced in Hong Kong in Norwegian it sounds all weird in my ears. And now I experience the same the other way around. It’s strange to write about something that happened in Norwegian and write about it in English. Strange or what? However I think it’s normal, that you adopt to the environment you are living in. From now on I’ll try and write funny and witty in both languages so I don’t receive any emails asking if I’ve turned slightly bipolar, I haven’t!

Comments

Anonymous said…
English or Norwegian...
It's Iselin..
same-same, different wrapping!!.. smoochies

Popular Posts